Every time when we wash our hands, use the dishwasher or washing machine, run the garbage disposal or use the flush it brings our sewer system to work. Being said that we do realize how important our sewer system is to us. A little clog in the sewer can cause big problems in the drain and toilet in our homes. Thus, we surely do realize how important it is to take care of our sewer system. Most people don’t realize that there’s a sewer line issue before it’s too late and the damage has already been done. Over time it can cause major problems in their sewer lines which can result in damage, crack or complete collapse of the sewer lines. Following tips are mentioned below which reduces the chances of sewer backups:
- Do not throw anything and everything in the drain: We must always avoid putting food items in the drain. Items such as cooking oil, sauces, grease, fibrous vegetables such as celery, onion peels, lettuce or even pasta, potatoes and rice. Coffee beans and egg shells are certainly too very harmful foods for the drains. Thus, food items should always be thrown in trash not in the drains.
- Nothing except the toilet paper should be flushed: Nothing except the toilet paper and human waste should be flushed. Things like diapers, “flush able” wipes, feminine products or paper towels should strictly be thrashed in bins. These never disintegrate and over the time accumulates to form clogs.
- Rethink before replacing clay or metal sewer lines: It is very obvious for tree roots and rocks to filter the sewer lines. Clay and metal pipes are also stronger than PVC or plastic pipes. They also are known to infiltrate better than the plastic pipes. Thus, one must reconsider their decision of changing the old metal pipes with PVC or plastic pipes.
- Fix a backwater prevention valve: The installation of this equipment into the sewer line in the basement of our home reduces backups. It makes the sewage leave the home and prevents it from coming back.
- Check the yard for soggy spots: If it has not poured in the last few days and the sun is bright enough, but the ground is softer than usual it could indicate that there’s a leak in the waterline. To avoid this one must frequently check the yard of the house. The texture of the surface could certainly indicate the condition of the sewer line of one’s house.
- Use drain traps:In order to restrain the solid objects to pass through the drain, one must add drain traps. Use a drain trap of a good quality which does not collapse easily.
- Clean the drains regularly: Instead of using chemical or crystal drain cleaners, we must keep the drains free of clogs by monthly flushing one cup of baking soda along with a cup of white vinegar and warm water.
- Do not let large trees grow around the pipelines: One must always keep a check around the area of sewer lines and stop the growth of large trees around the pipelines as it could break them and cause hazardous damages.
- Brush hair before taking a shower: Hair accumulation is one of the main reasons for the blocking of sewer lines. Thus, we must brush our hair before taking a shower to do away with the loose hair. This reduces the chances of sewer backups.
- Conduct a thorough inspection:If residential plumbing and sewer systems are not known to us, then we must hire a professional to examine our home. The expert can detect the issues which we may fail to understand. He can also identify problems that could certainly lead to problems in future and also give recommendations to avoid sewer backups efficiently.
These are the few tips through which we can easily maintain our pipelines and reduce the chances of sewer backups considerably. In other significant cases, it is always advisable to call the experts.